Image Map

Monday, August 25, 2014

comfort zones

I am not one that likes change, I am not one that likes to try new things! I just feel like everyone knows I am uncomfortable. In new surroundings I just flat out feel out of place! I don't like going to new places by myself & I just get super nervous (I am weird like that).

For instance when we went to Breanna's first gymnastics class, I felt "out of place", I am just not one to just start talking to people I don't know &  I never have been one to first strike up a convo with someone I don't know (unless you get a few drinks in me). I have always been super quiet until I get to know people. Then the one lady started talking to us and we found out her and her girls actually live a block away from us, so then all was good!
 
It took me almost 2 years to just go to church down the street by myself because I just felt uncomfortable. I felt like people would be like who is this newbie and why is she here! However I did finally go and took Breanna with me (she is a great help for me because girl will talk to anyone) and it was all good. 

Now this weekend, I completely stepped out of my comfort zone even though I was hesitant all day! I've been wanting to go to this one particular church the next town over (I have heard a lot of great things about it). Now don't get me wrong I love the little church in town (and I don't mean anything ill willed toward it) but being a catholic I just feel that it's the same thing every week. I just felt like I needed something more energetic and somewhere I actually looked forward to attending and actually WANT to go to church & not feel guilted that I have to go (if that makes any sort of sense, in my mind it does). Another wonderful thing about this particular church, they have a kidzone. B loved going to mass w. me but sometimes I felt distracted and wasn't completely there. This place lets the kids play and enjoy other kids while parents are at service. Kids can join in on the service as well but this is particularly nice for me so that I can actually be in the moment and really listen to the service.


When we first arrived, they had someone right at the door to greet you w a smile and a handshake! I let her know we were newcomers and she welcomed us and introduced me to one of the other members, then I let them know we wanted to check out the kidzone for B, he in turn introduced us to the childrens director  (Im not going to lie, I was a little worried how B would do if she would even attempt to go w.out me being in eye sight) I didnt even completely get her signed up and she was pulling my arm `mommy I wanna go play!` So off we went to kidzone and the childrens director was the sweetest lady \ and B had no hesitation and didnt even look back to see me leave! (Maybe pre-school wont be so hard w. her after all). I said bye and headed over to the service area. Another great thing, they give parents & child a sticker w. a number on it that you must give to pick up your child and if something is wrong they will flash your number on one of the screens during service.

I took a seat in the back (just incase I had to run out and get the kid) and people filtered in and service began promptly at 5:30. It was definitely different than what I was used to but I really enoyed myself and everyone was so welcoming. The workers and all the patrons. Sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone is something we just need to suck it up and do it and I am really glad that I did.




2 comments:

  1. This made me SO happy to read :) Finding a church you feel comfortable and welcome is a HUGE deal! I'm so glad you and B both enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That feeling of "What have I gotten myself into?" is one that I think I've been feeling a LOT lately! Glad to hear you had such a good experience visiting a different church! That's the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my little corner of the internet! I love hearing from you!