Image Map

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Only One....

I want to preface by saying this post has been sitting in my drafts for quite sometime honestly but I have been thinking about this more and more lately, also this is a touchy topic (so my apologizes if it is all over the place).

Why is it when you're dating someone for a long time you always get the when are you getting engaged, then it turns into when is the wedding,  then comes the when are you having kids & after the first one its when are you having more....

What is so wrong with wanting only one child? I know some people want a huge family with lots of kids (good for them!), but we feel like our family is complete. But how is it any of your business? I am so fed up with all the of when are you having more kids?  If I am going to be brutally honest, we don't want anymore. Yes, there have been times when we thought maybe we would like to have 2 kids but honestly the more and more we have talked about it, we feel our family is complete!

I do sometimes wonder if she will hold it against us or be mad at us for not giving her a sibling (knowing her friends in the future have them!) but I also feel I am able to give her ALL my attention as she grows older. I also love the one on one time I constantly get w her. Yes, it will be lonely when she starts school but I am not going to keep having kids just to keep me company while my other(s) is at school. Yes, I loved having siblings growing up (even though they liked to torture me!) but again this is what is right for our family.
 
I dont think I should need to explain to people OUR decisions, and I know some people like to mess with me because they know we are done but its the ones that never let up that really get to me! And when I tell people our reason, I get so annoyed and frustrated with the comments (Well she wont have anyone to play with, she will be lonely growing up, she NEEDS a little brother/sister, she will be so spoiled, selfish, a brat and it goes on and on.) and it NEVER stops!!! 
 
NO she will NOT be spoiled and will not get things handed to her because she is an only child. YES, she will have nice things but will earn those things and not have everything handed to her. She will not be a "brat" because she is an only child. Yes she will have her moments when she is acting like one but that's part of growing up NOT being an only child! She gets corrected and scolded when she does something wrong, or acts up. She does NOT run the house. We do and she knows it. I cant tell you how many time I get told how polite she is at the young age of 4. So dont tell me my child will turn into a spoiled brat because she is an only child....that is all in how they are raised and she will be raised as a polite young lady!

So next time you think about asking parents of an only child when they are having more, think twice. Everyone has their reasons(whether it is medical or just personal) it's THEIRS and shouldn't have to explain themselves




5 comments:

  1. Ugh I feel you. I don't get the "when are you having more" question any more (which is so freaking annoying). But I do get the "so, when are y'all gonna try for a boy?" question all.the.time. Umm how about never? Ignoring the biological impossibility of actually trying for a boy, why can't you just accept that I am happy and 100% content with my two beautiful girls!?

    Questions about your plans (or lack thereof) to reproduce are the worst. I never ask anyone at all because you just never know someone's story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVERYONE has an opinion on what's right for YOU. You're the only one who knows what's right, and you shouldn't be asked constantly. I STILL get asked if we're having any more. Why does it matter? If we don't that's fine, and if we do, that's our business! There isn't anything wrong with only having one kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad how everyyyyone feels like their opinion needs to be stated. It's so rude and often hurtful! Why don't people get it?! I'm sorry you've had so much negativity on this topic. Sending hugs and support YOUR way though. Your little family is perfect and precious :) As long as you guys are happy that is what matters!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! You're so right that it is no ones business but yours. People need to stop being so nosy and just respect everyone else's decisions. This was perfectly said :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I think it's OK to have just one. With being three months away from having number two I keeping getting the question... "do you guys think you'll have more?" ... it's like Huh....????

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my little corner of the internet! I love hearing from you!