I have been hearing a lot of stores are opening Thanksgiving evening. I personally just think this is wrong!!! I guess working in retail for 10 years makes me a little more sympathetic to these people who are stuck working on these days. It sucks, and most customers are just plain out RUDE! Dont get me wrong, I love a good deal on stuff but I would rather spend time w. my family
I also understand some people have no choice in if they work or not on holidays (healthcare, police officers, fire fighters etc). And also people saying, why wait for holidays to spend time w. family. Well, some people only get that chance to see family at holidays (out of town family, crazy work schedule, everyone's situation is different)
While I personally refuse to shop Thanksgiving or Black Friday(I cant do the crowds....bring on Cyber Monday) if you DO happen to shop on Black Friday, the day after Christmas or even on Thanksgiving don't be rude to the employees, they are trying the best they can to get you in and out fast. And things do go wrong, coupons don't ring up, discounts dont always come up, glitches do happen. Just be somewhat sympathetic...they have probably been there for a long time....maybe w. out even so much as a 5 minute break to use the bathroom, eat, or hell they may be that new employee that got suckered into working those crap holidays(been there! not cool)
What are your thoughts? Will you be shopping on Thanksgiving?
great post!! I used to love Black Friday but people have lost their freaking minds and the way they treat other shoppers and employees has me completely turned off by it. I am definitely doing cyber Monday though....are there any websites that list the deals? I have never done cyber monday before...
ReplyDeleteKate @ Raising the Rogers
Definitely no Thanksgiving shopping for me! Thanksgiving is about... well, Thanksgiving... not Christmas... so Thanksgiving will be spent doing all the normal traditions. If people want to get a jump on Christmas then start on Friday... one day won't make a difference... not to mention it's supposed to be a day spending time with family and being THANKFUL, not at the stores fighting crowds and being grumpy!
ReplyDeleteI have never been shopping on black Friday and I don't plan on it. I don't like that they are opening Thanksgiving night. You will find me at home!!
ReplyDeleteIt's not for me, but you already know that! My sister works in HR for TRU and she is required to be in the store when they open at 5 PM on Thanksgiving Day. So much for seeing her on Thanksgiving. It honestly ticks me off. And, honestly, unless you're getting a big ticket item, the deals aren't that great. She has even told me that the sale prices are better the closer they get to Christmas! I have gone out grocery shopping on Black Friday evening with my mom, and I was able to score a few things in the ad, many hours after the rest of the shoppers had gone home. I honestly think it's time to bring back Thanksgiving and push Black Friday back to the day it's supposed to be...FRIDAY!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't think you have to pick spending Thanksgiving with family OR shopping. I have BF shopped for years, and I have also always spent Thanksgiving Day with my family. It does stink that the time continues to be move up earlier & earlier each year for the workers, but it does not make the shoppers bad people for wanting to take advantage of a deal. I have always been a smart shopper and there are deals offered during this time that will not be offered again, so I plan to take advantage of that opportunity because the money I save BF shopping can be used somewhere else.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Amy that you do not have to choose family or shopping.
ReplyDeleteI love BF shopping (have been going for years) and my favorite time was when the stores opened at 5 am and I would wake up at 2 am and go stand in the cold. It is fun for me but I am not one of those rude people nor do I treat the workers badly....especially because my family is out working!
I do not agree with TRU opening at 5pm because that is dinner time and they should be able to eat with their families. And this is why I will not shop there during that time. If I want to go out and stand in the cold after my family leaves then that is my choice but making a person work during dinner is not acceptable, in my opinion. My family does not even have Thanksgiving at my moms anymore because she has to work a 12 hour shift from Thursday night until Friday morning. So I cook for my family now and we re-celebrate with everyone on Saturday. Not ideal but I still spend the day with my family. I get up early and cook for hours, spend time with my family, sleep and then go out shopping.
I love a good deal and I give back to the community at the same time. We have always donated to toys for tots, adopted a needy child/family and given money to things like Christmas Crazy. When I have a budget but can get twice as much for the same amount, I do it!
Amen sister!! I used to sell mattresses (random) and black Friday was terrible. I didn't even enjoy Thanksgiving with my family because I was just dreading having to be at work at 4am... hate it!
ReplyDeleteI love Black Friday shopping but I'm with you 7pm is WAY to early! They at least need to wait until midnight! Family time comes first!!!
ReplyDeletexo
Love this post! I work at a restaurant, so the chances I'll be working over the holidays and not able to go see my family are very high. I really hope people are nice to me, because I know it will be taking all the energy I have to put a smile on my face!
ReplyDeleteI don't shop on Thanksgiving either! I think that is just crazy! The poor employees who have to work those shifts - they should be home with their families!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I don't do shopping on Thanksgiving/Black Friday. We do Thanksgiving, food, football, and resting. Then on Friday we decorate for Christmas....shopping can wait!
ReplyDelete