Right now we are just familiarizing her with it. While I know she is still young and I am not trying to force it on her I would love for it to be an easy transition! And it's never too early to start. She is sitting on it and if we do have it up she will make me pull it down!
So moms what are some tips,tricks or advice do you have for this rookie! Is there anything that you did that helped transition easy? I will be keeping a reward chart with stickers for re-enforcement once we really start into it. But I would love any advice you could give!
It's definitely not too early and that's so great that she's interested already! Every kid is different but if she's showing interest then there's no reason to put it off. I would just keep doing what you're doing and let her be interested on her own. Emily was potty trained by her 2nd birthday but Ryan was 3-1/2... no two kids are the same so you just roll with what works for you! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteWe let our boys be the lead in potty training. Xander is peeing on the potty regularly, which is great, but he's not ready to tell us when he needs to go. We ask if he has to go and if he doesn't want to, we don't push.
ReplyDeleteWe had the same philosphy with Jack. I tried actively training him at one point and it ended in tears for both of us. One day he decided that he wanted to go potty so we started training.
We used a reward system with Jack and when Xander can start telling us that he has to go, we'll try that with him as well.
My best advice is to be patient, expect set-backs and follow Breanna's lead!
Yes, I can also use all of the advice you receive too! We are introducing, but won't get serious until this summer.
ReplyDeletehow old is she? Melody started wiping her own hiney yesterday! Made me wonder if she will be an early bird for potty training - that would be cool!!
ReplyDeleteBare bottom when you first start. That way she will make it over in time. We did that with Logan and he was trained in a few days. Then we moved to undies only for a day or two, then full pants. I have lucked out with super easy potty experiences with the boys. Charlotte is interested and sits on it (although we have not really started training due to not enough time in the day) and has gone and likes to toot on it. I will be training her soon with the pants off!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! I'm jealous you have a little girl...I'm about to have a little boy, and although we're a few years from potty training, I feel like potty training a boy is going to be so much more difficult than a girl!
ReplyDeleteGood luck, sounds like she's excited about it already! :) Definitely a good idea to have a potty she'll love, although hopefully it won't be a tough transition from little girl potty to big girl potty!
Chloe
http://rainbowsandhoneysuckle.blogspot.com/
We went the bare bottom route as well, and that worked pretty well. Don't be alarmed if she gets the hang of it and then regresses (my oldest daughter did this several times - mostly out of confusion due to her older brother who is Autistic who was struggling with the whole potty training thing when she took interest in it herself).
ReplyDeleteSo she was basically getting mixed signals, but she's doing much better now, & now we're getting the hang of not going at night in a pull up or diaper!
Only thing she can be a bit if a stinker on is doing #2 where she's supposed to. We think she picked up on her big brother's fear of doing that on the toilet, so now instead, she'll do it in her underwear :\
Potty training can take a bit for some, so don't get down on yourself if she doesn't get the hang of it like some kids [like these moms I read about who train their kid in like a day or 2 - that's just NUTS!].
We've tried practically EVERYTHING (especially with our son) so my best advice - show her lots of positive reinforcement, & consistency ;)
We just started too. I don't think its ever too early. I can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions. Good luck! :)
ReplyDeleteBest of luck! I trained my oldest (Tyler) using the bare bottom method too. He trained in under a week, including naps and bedtime. I waited with him until he was dry through naps and through the night. Bailey, is another story. SHE has decided at 20 months that it's time. We are on week 2 now and really aren't much better off than we were in the beginning. I think every kid is different. She has the vocabulary but isn't dry at nap or night yet so I'm thinking it will be a while for her. You can read our adventure here: http://thestickneys.blogspot.com/2013/01/our-potty-training-adventure.html#comment-form
ReplyDeleteI agree, bare bottom is the way to go! I would also try to take her to the bathroom with you when you go so she can get an idea of what its all about. the boys all became interested after watching daddy & their brothers go "to the big boy potty". Definitely follow Bre's lead... She'll let you know when she's ready. It's really great that she's showing an interest in the potty, that's a sign she's on her way!
ReplyDeleteGood Luck! I just did both my kiddos recently. I did a full week in the house with them, no leaving the house for them at all ( I had to leave at times but whoever I left with them stayed on point) for the first 2 days we were in underwear and set the timer for every 15 minutes, we would just go sit for a few minutes. Also I constantly reminded them to tell me if they had to go, I NEVER asked if they had to go. If they started having an accident I didnt get mad, we just ran to the potty and tried to finish there. We also had a sticker chart for "I tried" "peepee" and "poopy" with M&M rewards for when they did something, Both of my kids were trained by day 3 and 4. At the end of the week we went and bought new underwear that they picked out and a prize! I still use pull ups at nap and bed time bc Im nervous, but they are really good. When we go out I always make sure to remind them that they tell me if they have to go and I will bring them to the bathroom, we also keep a travel potty in our car!!
ReplyDeleteEveryone is different, but for us we did *not* do the bare butt method lol. Personally I can't deal with accidents on my floors and I with my oldest at times I felt I was training myself to constantly remind her every 10 minutes, rather than actually training her!
ReplyDeleteWhat we ended up doing was following her lead. At age 2 she was showing a lot of interest in the potty...but she wasn't actually understanding that when she got the feeling to go she had to tell us, and she wasn't going to the potty on her own. I spent a week very frustrated that even though she could easily pee on the potty when I took her, she just wasn't doing it on her own---in which case diapers are way easier! lol
So then at age 2.5 years I could tell one day that is just clicked. We litterally potty trained her in a couple hours one morning because she was totally ready and understood exactly what to do.
I'm waiting until that moment of clarity again this time! For me diapers are not that bad, and I'd rather wait until it all really clicks!
I trained Dylan and Lexie by following their lead. They both trained quickly and easily. I started to introduce the concept of the potty around 16-18 months. Just as you're doing! I didn't push them, though. If they wanted to sit on it, great. If they put up a fight, I didn't push, because it would just turn into a battle. Once they showed all the signs of being completely ready, we stayed home for about a week. They walked around in just underwear so they could go easily. My main piece of advice is don't push it! Let her train when she's ready.
ReplyDelete